Top 5 Best Indoor Cycling Bikes
In the winter months, when it’s wet and rainy, it’s unlikely you’d think it’s the best time for a bike ride. With the shortened sunlight hours and poor visibility, it also becomes a health and safety issue. So you might want to turn to stationary cycling bikes, which provide a workout from within your own home.
Some claim that home exercise isn’t as beneficial or authentic as traditional gym or outdoor exercises. However, cycling at home can improve your health in more ways than one. For example, you reap all the benefits of cycling, including strengthening your heart health, boosting your muscle endurance, and burning calories. In fact, in an hour, you can burn more than 600 calories!
Not only that, but you don’t have to face all the same trials as outdoor cycling. This means no more stopping at red lights, struggling up steep hills, and also no more chance of accidentally hitting a pedestrian. What’s not to love?
If indoor and stationary cycling bikes appeal to you, read on to find out our favorites and how to choose one best suited to your needs.
Our Top 5 Best Indoor Cycling Bikes Reviews
Schwinn IC4 Indoor Cycling Bike
- Includes a 1 year JRNY membership, valued at $149.
- You can connect to third party cycling apps from your phone through bluetooth connectivity.
- Features magnetic resistance and 100 micro-adjustable resistance levels.
- Includes a full color LCD monitor that displays heart rate, time, calories, RPMs, speed, and distance.
- Has a race-style seat and urethane-dipped handlebars, both of which are adjustable.
- Comes with an integrated device holder and pair of 3lb dumbbells, so you can maximise your comfort and workout.
Possible deal breaker
- For some, the pedals and crank nuts, despite regular maintenance, don’t stay properly tightened.
The Schwinn IC4 indoor cycling bike is a win for fans of Peloton bikes, who have compared it as a better value Peloton bike. There are compliments of the model being tough-built and quiet. It’s also praised for a smooth workout! One can imagine why when viewing its many great features, including 100 resistance levels, adjustable seats and handlebars, and heavy-duty frame.
On top of this, the IC4 bike comes with a 1 year JRNY membership. With the JRNY membership, you can unlock coaching and feedback, as well as over 50 global routes that auto-adjust to your speed in real time. To further improve your workout, you can easily connect to third party apps, such as Peloton and Zwift, to monitor and guide your progress.
Sunny Health & Fitness Indoor Cycle Exercise Bike PRO II
- Features a 40lb flywheel, which ensures a smoother ride.
- Integrated pulse sensor in the handlebars, so you can keep track of your heart rate.
- The dual felt pad resistance system allows you to adjust the resistance, so that the cycling workout is a realistic experience.
- Features a cushioned seat that can be adjusted 4 ways.
- Includes a device holder and water bottle holder for optimum ease.
- Slam down on the emergency stop brake in case of emergency!
Possible deal breaker
- Resistance is inconsistent and difficult to adjust.
Sunny Health and Fitness is offering a Pro II exercise bike with the heaviest flywheel on this list. With a 40lb flywheel, the Pro II exercise bike has one of the smoothest cycling rides, so you can exercise comfortably. You can also very comfortably assemble it. One user even claimed the hardest part was simply getting it into the house!
The Pro II exercise bike is one of the cheapest options on this list, but don’t let that fool you on its quality. It’s durable and comparable to bikes that cost upwards of $1500.
Labodi Stationary Indoor Cycling Bike
- Has a 35lb flywheel and quiet belt drive system, ensuring a smooth and quiet riding experience.
- Track your statistics and progress on the LCD monitor. There is also a flat bracket that can accommodate an iPad.
- Adjust to your needs! There are non-slip 2-way handlebars and 4-way seat, as well as a pull knob that switches the exercise’s intensity.
- Prioritise your safety with the pedal cages, transporting wheels, and emergency knob.
Possible deal breaker
- Not the most durable bike.
Labodi’s stationary indoor cycling bike prides itself on the smooth and quiet ride it offers. This is thanks to its 35lb flywheel and belt drive system. While you’re exercising, you can track your progress on the LCD monitor – or you can watch your iPad. The bike comes with a flat bracket that can accommodate a 10.2 inch iPad, so follow along a workout or watch your favourite show!
The bike is ideal for people ranging from 4’11 to 6’3, with the adjustable handlebars and seat coming in handy. When exercising, you can secure your feet with the cage to prevent foot slippage. Once done, you can easily wheel away the bike to a more convenient location with the help of the transporting wheels.
Yosuda Indoor Cycling Bike
- Can support upto 330lbs, making it one of the sturdiest bikes on this list.
- The 40lb chrome flywheel provides a smooth ride, while the belt drive ensures a quiet one.
- Easily adjust the handlebar in 2-ways, the padded seat in 4-ways, and the tension so that it can meet your needs.
- Features an iPad holder next to the LCD monitor so you can watch your favourite shows while tracking your progress.
- Stay hydrated with the integrated bottle holder!
Possible deal breaker
- A few users have reported a knocking sound when in use.
Yosuda’s L-007A cycling bike is a massive improvement from its popular original model. It features a thickened frame tube, which can support upto 330lbs, and overcomes the wobbly defect many cycle bikes in the market have. However, after prolonged use, some users have reported knocking sounds during use.
The exercise bike is easily adjustable, so is suitable for users of many heights and sizes. If you find exercise mundane, you can even watch YouTube videos on your iPad, secured in the integrated holder.
Pleny 5-In-1 Folding Indoor Cycling Exercise Bike
- You can exercise in an upright, semi-recumbent, or inclined posture with this bike.
- Includes two arm resistance bands and leg resistance bands.
- 16 magnetic resistance levels to choose from, simply twist the knob.
- Easily monitor your time, speed, pulse, odometer, and calories burned on the digital LCD screen.
- The exercise bike can be easily folded in half and stored away.
Possible deal breaker
- The silent pedal can develop an annoying clicking noise.
To top the list off, we have Pleny’s 5-in-1 folding bike. It’s different from the other options for a number of reasons. For example, it can be folded. This makes it incredibly easy to store away and is ideal if you don’t have enough space for a full exercise bike. Another feature that sets it apart is its shifting shape and position. You can adjust the bike, so you can exercise in an upright, semi-recumbent, or inclined posture.
To enhance your workout, you can also utilise the included arm and leg resistance bands. There are other ways of increasing resistance, as this machine offers 16 magnetic resistance levels, making it ideal for both beginners and experts!
How to Choose the Best Indoor Cycling Bike
By this, we mean technological features that make your workout more akin to the real experience. This could include heart rate sensors to monitor your workout or magnetic resistance, which replicates the resistance your bike might have. For example, when you’re changing gear.
Heavy Duty Flywheel
If you’re really serious about your cycling workout, then it’s worth investing in a bike that has a heavy duty flywheel. This allows you to build momentum while also using popular high-cadence workouts.
Extra comforts can mean adjustable handlebars with soft foam grip to an adjustable seat to a holder for your water bottle or phone. Keeping yourself as happy and comfortable as possible during a workout can motivate you!
It can be hard to know how to improve without feedback. If your exercise bike comes with a monitor displaying heart rate, speed, distance, elapsed time, and cadence, it’s easier to know how to improve.
For an optimised workout, you’ll want a range of pre-set workout programs and the ability to customise your own. This way, you can have a varied and interesting workout that works for you.
With the winter months making it difficult to cycle outside, it’s worth investing in an indoor stationary cycling bike. However, if cycling isn’t your cup of tea, you might want to take a look at our top 5 best folding rowing machines.