A Guide To The Best Decline Ab Benches
A decline ab bench aka sit up bench is designed to target mainly the core muscles but some can also adjust to a flat position allowing you to work other muscles too. Most of the ab benches are slightly different from one another, giving you more choice so it shouldn’t be difficult to choose from one of the best decline ab benches.
Having strong core muscles is vital if you also want to excel in developing other muscles such as your quads, chest, shoulders and back. Many people don’t realise your core is working as a secondary muscle for many exercises including squats, pull ups, deadlifts etc.
Although many adjustable weight benches are able to adjust to a decline angle, the angle is usually no greater than -15 degrees which isn’t really steep enough to get a more intense abdominal workout.
How To Choose The Best Decline Ab Bench
If you have in mind certain features you want on an ab crunch bench, then the chances are there probably is one available with such features, as the features slightly vary from one model to another.
Below we’ve listed the features of a decline abdominal bench and what each features does, this way for those who are unsure, you can be more certain on choosing the best decline ab bench tailored to suit you.
Number of adjustable positions – Having more adjustable positions is ideal for those who want to start off with a less intense workout, gradually increasing the gradient as your abdominal muscles develop.
Adjustable to flat position – If the bench can go to a flat position then it can also be used as a normal flat bench, allowing you to bench press with adjustable dumbbells or regular dumbbells. It can also be used for many other exercises including single arm dumbbell row.
Many of the decline sit up benches are not designed to support heavy weight loads so check the maximum weight it can support if you’re planning to use heavy weights. The IRONMAN Triathlon Decline Bench however can support up to 650 lbs in total.
Sit ups or hyper back extension – Some of the decline benches can also be used for hyper back extensions which targets mainly the lower back muscles, giving you an all-around stronger core.
Folds away – Limited on space? A foldable ab bench is the perfect solution for those who don’t have enough room for the bench to permanently be deployed.
Dimensions – Unless you’re choosing a foldable ab bench, check the size of the bench to see if it’s going to fit in the space you have planned for it.
Best Decline Sit Up Bench Reviews
Some people may find the information on a comparison table such as our one not detailed enough. So we’ve provided individual reviews below on the decline benches shown in our table:
Universal UB100 Decline Bench
- 2 adjustable positions.
- 2 leg positions.
- Folds away conveniently for storage.
- Maximum 200 lb user weight.
IRONMAN Triathlon Abdominal/Hyper Back Extension Bench
Products from Ironman fitness tends to usually be strong and sturdy with the ability to support a high weight capacity. Quite expensive for an ab bench but it can also be used as a hyper back extension bench.
- Able to perform sit ups and hyperextensions.
- Supports up to 650 lbs of weight.
- Suitable for users between 5ft to 6ft 4”.
- Bench can adjust to 4 positions (including flat) and thigh support can adjust to 14 positions.
- Vinyl bench cover is sweat and moisture resistant.
- Push up and dip handle bars.
- Very strong and sturdy.
XMark 12 Position Ergonomic Adjustable Decline Ab Bench
Not too overly priced considering it’s made by the reputable XMark Fitness. It can adjust to many positions but not many people will require that many positions, but thanks to the tough construction it gets away with its price tag.
- 12 height adjustments.
- Leg rollers positioned to reduce back pain.
- Strong and sturdy steel construction with scratch resistant finish.
- 5” thick, double stitched, tear-resistant cushion.
- 400 lb total weight capacity.
Stamina Pro Ab/Hyper Bench
- 4 adjustable positions including flat.
- Nearly folds away for storage.
- Both a sit up bench and hyper back extension bench.
- Weight limit of 250 lbs.
- Extended hand grips for other exercises.
- Heavy duty 2” steel frame construction.
Ancheer Adjustable Folding Ab Bench With Speedball
- Adjustable to 4 different positions.
- Speed ball attachment (can be removed).
- Curved design to provide better support for your lower back.
- Also comes with 2 mini dumbbells, with dumbbell holders attached to the bench for easy access during your workout.
- Maximum weight 440 lbs.